Longarm Firearm Safety Course

Technical Advanced Training


Longarm Firearm Safety Course - Category A and B

Technical Advanced Training delivers Recreational Longarm Firearm safety course training for Category A and B Longarm licence (firearms licence).

Completing a firearm safety course

You will need to complete the Victorian Firearm Safety Course relevant to the type of firearm licence before you submit your application. If you successfully complete this course, TAT will issue a completion certificate. Ensure to keep the completion certificate as you will need to provide a copy when you submit your application. You still have to complete the firearm safety course before you submit a new application even if you have: • Previously held a licence in Victoria or in another state. • Have had a licence cancelled. • Your previous licence expired more than 12 months ago.

Eligibility for Longarm Firearm Licence

Age 18 years and over: If you’re an Australian citizen or permanent resident over the age of 18* and residing in Victoria, you are eligible to apply for a Victorian longarm firearms licence.

Age 12 and 17 years of age: A child aged between 12 and 17 years of age may apply for a junior firearm licence in Victoria. The junior licence holder is only ever able to handle a firearm under the supervision of an adult who has a current firearm licence for the same category of firearm.

Be a non-prohibited person or have been deemed not to be prohibited by a court

Be able to demonstrate and maintain a genuine reason for needing a firearm licence Have completed the relevant firearm safety course (TAT).

Course Dates and Cost

Every Wednesday’s 5pm to 7pm.

Adult’s: $100 & Junior’s: $70

Genuine Reason

When you submit your application, you will need to tell LRD why you want to be able to use a firearm and will need to provide appropriate and sufficient evidence to support your request. For example, you need a registration of interest to hunt pest animals on Crown land. You can do this through Service Victoria on https://www.service.vic.gov.au/services/registration-of-interest-to-hunt-pest-animals, cost is $13.00. Service Victoria will email you a certificate issued by the Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action (DEECA). You'll need it to submit the certificate when applying for or renewing a category A or B longarm licence (firearms licence). Service Victoria will collect your personal information to the Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action (DEECA) needs to maintain a list of people registered to hunt pest animals on Crown land under the Firearms Act 1996.

How to Enrol for the firearm safety course with TAT

Click on the enrolment form link and send completed form to our office. Enrolment form must be received by TAT prior to a Wednesday. You must also bring one photo identification from the list below when doing the firearm safety course training.

Evidence of Residence and Photo Identification

Green Medicare card

Australian Passport

Australian Birth Certificate

Australian Citizenship Certificate

Student Identification Card

Working with Children Check Card

Australian Proof of Age Card

Victorian Handgun Licence Card

Victorian Security

Guard / Crowd Control Card Australian Keypass Card

5 Step Process: How to apply for a Category A and B Longarm Firearm licence

1. Access the eServices Portal and fill out your application.

2. You are required to submit TAT completion certificate.

3. You are required to submit DEECA certificate.

4. You are required to supply 100 points of certified identification compromising of:

- At least one primary identification document.

- e.g. passport or birth certificates and;

5. At least one secondary document showing your current residential address. e.g. drivers licence.

- You are required to supply an identification reference from an acceptable referee who: has known you for at least 12 months and;

- is not related to you by either birth or marriage.

The person who provides your identification reference must be the same person who certifies your 100 points of identification. Examples of acceptable referees include people such as:

- Registered medical practitioner (eg. your GP), or dentist

- Registered and employed nurse

- Registered primary or secondary school teachers employed full-time

- Primary or secondary school principal employed full-time

- Minister of religion who is registered as a marriage celebrant

- Justice of the Peace

- Bank employee who has the authority to open accounts (eg. bank branch manager)

- Accountant who is a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, the Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants, or the National Institute of Accountants